Thursday, July 21, 2011

Red Bellied Woodpeckers

So much fun to photograph these Red Bellied Woodpeckers!
I thought saw them by accident one Saturday morning but I found out the next weekend that they actually had a nest in that hole, and they were flying and out on a regular basis. 

They were bringing in berries and other tasty morsels.  Then a few seconds later they'd fly back out.  It was a lot of fun to photograph them.  Soon, there was a line of photographers on the boardwalk - and I was right there with them.
They are so colorful.  I love their red heads and black and white pattern on their backs.  I can now easily tell the difference between the male and female - the male has a significantly larger and vibrant red cap area. 

Pretty sure I'll find myself back at Green Cay this next weekend to see if they are still there.


No comments:

Post a Comment