Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rookery at Gatorland

This is the rookery at Gatorland in Orlando.  It's a paradise for nature photographers. 


This rookery is so active that you can find all stages - nesting, flight shots, eggs, babies, and juveniles, all within close proximity.  (Oh, yes, and alligators)!  You could reach out and touch the nests.  It is definitely worth the drive. 


It was this rookery that I saw my first egg hatch right in front of me, saw my first babies of several kinds - Tri-Colors, Snowy Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Comorants, and this past weekend I saw my first Woodstork babies.  I've even seen a baby Barred Owl here before. 

They have photographer passes so you can enter the park at sunrise and stay until sunset.  It's a great way to spend the day.

I've met some nice people at this rookery, photographers are always willing to share information and talk to each other about our equipment or our surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment