Saturday, September 10, 2011

Tunnel to Towers 5K Run

This morning I went to the Tunnel to Towers 5K run, in honor of the 10 year anniversary of September 11.  There were nearly 3,000 people in attendance.

It was a fun event, but I wasn't prepared for how emotional it would be.  When this girl (below) sang the National Anthem before the race started, it moved me to tears.  Standing up there next to those firefighters and american flags, she sang a beautiful song.  And I was right there, about 3 feet away from them.

While that may have choked me up, it didn't end there.   Some of the firefighters ran in full gear.  Which weighs about 60 pounds.   
The sight of these guys running with their gear on brought tears to my eyes.  I thought about it all day, the image burned in my mind.
It really made this day so memorable, and such a fitting way to salute the anniversary of 9/11.








Even the women ran with their gear on.  You go girl!  Such an inspiration.
I'm really glad I went to this event.  Such a nice way to remember the anniversary of 9/11 and I am glad I have some nice pictures of these fighterfighters.  We will never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment